A widespread lockdown in Sindh will be observed tomorrow (Friday) from 12-3pm, Chief Minister Sindh Murad Ali Shah announced Thursday after a meeting with ulema who gestured their support for the decision.
CM Murad Ali Shah, in a meeting with Chairman Ruet-e-Hilal Committee Mufti Muneeb-ur-Rehman and various scholars from different sects said: “I thank all the ulemas for cooperating with us so far. Hopefully, on Saturday, as agreed with the federal government, new SOPs will be drafted for the mosques.”
“Everything will be closed during the lockdown, while mosques will remain open for limited congregation,” he said.
“I have told police to not take strict measures against people going into mosques during the lockdown[…] In the meantime I appeal to the public for cooperation,” he said.
“The masses should refrain from praying in the mosques,” he said.
The chairman Ruet-e-Hilal committee stated that he expected that a meeting between various stakeholders on April 18 would reach a consensus, and a future road map would be drawn for congregational prayers.
Mufti Muneeb requested the masses and religious scholars to show cooperation with the authorities tomorrow and ensure that no unfortunate event takes place.
A day earlier, federal minister for Religious Affairs and Inter-faith Harmony Noor-ul-Haq Qadri had requested Mufti Muneeb to attend a meeting on April 18 where a joint decision over Friday prayers and Itikaf will be taken.