Cyclone Gulab-Strong cell is crossing Thatta and moving west towards Karachi.
Duststorm at Gulshan e Hadeed, Landhi, Malir while heavy rain reported from Gharo, Thatta, Dhabeji and its adjoining areas.
According to a weather advisory issued by the Pakistan Meteorological Department’s (PMD) Early Warning Centre, low air pressure in the northern Arabian Sea is likely to lead to torrential downpours in Sindh and the coastal areas of Makran.
- Sea conditions would remain rough/very rough with a high surge at times till October 3 (Sunday).
- Torrential rains may generate urban flooding in Karachi, Badin, Thatta, Hyderabad, Dadu, Mirpurkhas, Shaheed Benazirabad, Lasbela, Sonmiani, Ormara, Pasni, Gwadar, Turbat, and Jiwani.
- Windstorms may cause damage to vulnerable structures.
A new warning issued by PMD indicates heavy falls over Karachi in the next few hours.
The PMD has warned of damage to vulnerable structures and has asked the concerned authorities to remain on high alert during a cyclonic storm, which might hit the country on October 1 — two days from now.
In view of the weather conditions PDMA Sindh Emergency Center has been made operational.
The following numbers can be contacted in case of any emergency: 021-99332742, 021-35381810
Furthermore, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) on Wednesday asked airport officials to take precautionary measures in view of a warning by the Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) of heavy rains from September 30 to October 2.
As per the notification:
- Mooring of parked light aircraft or re-parking to a safe area as applicable.
- Picketing of loose equipment or proper storage to avoid any collision.
- Mu meter party shall be ready to determine runway friction/braking action during the monsoon rain for ensuring safe aircraft operations.
- During the rain, various kind of insects and worms increase in the airfield which causes an increase in bird activities, therefore, ECO/airside inspector/JtDs janitorial must ensure adequate number of bird shooters be deployed at aerodrome and fumigation spray where required.
- All other necessary precautionary measures, if deemed appropriate, to ensure operational safety uninterrupted availability of facilities, and continuity of safe aircraft operations may be ensured.
- All concerned authorities should keep themselves updated through Pakistan Meteorological Department website — www.pakmet.com.pk — regarding the latest weather conditions.