15 people have been killed and at least 40 were injured in a terrorist attack at the Shahcheragh Shrine in the city of Shiraz, southern Iran, claimed by ISIS.
According to state-run media and Iranian officials, two children were among the victims in the attack carried out on Wednesday.
The carried out by an armed attacker during evening prayers at the Shah Cheragh shrine, and left at least 19 people wounded, state television said.
The assailant was a man “in his 30s” who had been detained by the security forces, officials added.
Nour News Agency, which is affiliated with Iran’s top security body, stated that security forces have arrested two of the suspected attackers, and a manhunt is underway to capture a third.
The suspects were foreign nationals, according to the news Agency.
According to the governor of Fars province, quoted by state news, “the terrorist first targeted the servant and guard of the shrine and intended to attack the congregational evening prayers, but one of the servants shut the door on him.”
“Loud screams were heard in the women’s section of the shrine at the time of adhan [the call for prayer] and suddenly an armed man was spotted with a Kalashnikov firing indiscriminately in the compound of the shrine,” an eyewitness told state media.
“After the initial burst of fire, the attacker went near the shrine and fired many rounds at people present at the scene,” the eyewitness added.
On the other hand, the terror group ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack.
ISIS released a statement through its affiliated Amaq news agency that said one of its members had “targeted groups of Sunni refusal infidels inside the shrine with his machine gun, causing the death of tens of them.”