Karachi: Pillion riding banned from 8 to 10 Muharram
The Sindh government has banned pillion riding in Karachi from Muharram 8 to 10.
The notification was issued on Thursday, including a list of rules being imposed for the first 10 days of Muharram that are being imposed under Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.
As per the notification, no one can carry any arms or ammunition with the exception of law enforcers.
More than five people cannot gather unless there is a procession, majlis, or tazia, says the notification.
The ban on pillion riding exempts women, children below 12 years of age, senior citizens, journalists, disabled persons, law enforcers, and employees of essential services.
Sindh Local Government Minister Nasir Hussain Shah has instructed the police to ensure the implementation of the orders.
Meanwhile, the people violating the directive will be punished.
The holy month of Muharram is likely to start from 10 of August.
SOPs announced for processions in Muharram are as following:
- Majalis should be held in open spaces.
- There will be on-spot vaccination.
- Masks and sanitizers are mandatory.
- Only vaccinated devotees will be allowed in Majalis.
- Make sure social distancing and cleaning take place.
- Food should be distributed in open spaces in disposable containers.