KP mourns as death toll from suicide attack on Peshawar’s Police Lines mosque rises to 100
The rescue operation to retrieve bodies from the debris of the mosque has been concluded
Death toll from a suicide attack on Peshawar’s Police Lines mosque rises to 100 while 221 people have been wounded!
The rescue and search operation at the blast site has been completed, after almost 24 hours.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, a spokesperson of the Lady Reading Hospital said that around 100 bodies were brought into the facility and 53 people are under treatment.
He added that a total of 158 injured people were brought to the hospital on Monday and most of them had been sent back home after medical aid.
All the injured people are being treated for their wounds, and seven of them have been admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU), with the death toll feared to rise, he added.
KP Caretaker Chief Minister Muhammad Azam Khan announced a day of mourning across the province today to condemn the deadliest attack of the year.
The national flag was drawn to half-mast across the province.
KP Caretaker CM Muhammad Azam Khan said that “The government share the grief of the martyrs’ families.”
He also assured the aggrieved families that the provincial government would not leave them alone in the aftermath of the tragedy.
Inspector-General Moazzam Jah Ansari addressing a presser said that about 10-12 kilograms of explosives were used in the blast.
He said that there has been a security lapse and investigations are currently underway to ascertain the facts.
“We are checking one-month’s CCTV footage and tracking the facilitators of the bomber,” he added.
The provincial police chief said that a joint investigation team (JIT) has been notified and the probe will clear everything soon. Those responsible will be identified and brought to book, he said.
He said that the attacker might have entered the premises as a guest. He added that the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) had denied responsibility for the attack last night.