Latest News

My country is safe for Cricket! Pakistan cricketers react to NZ’s decision to call off tour

The New Zealand cricket team cancelled its tour of Pakistan after informing the PCB of a "security alert", earlier on the day.

Pakistan cricketers react to NZ's decisionPakistan cricketers react to NZ's decision | OyeYeah News
Views

Pakistan cricketers react to NZ’s decision to call off tour!

Pakistan cricketers and millions of cricket fans in the country were left utterly disappointed over the unilateral decision of the New Zealand Board to call of Pakistan tour right ahead of the start of the first ODI on Friday.

Taking it to social media many Pakistani cricketers expressed their disappointment over the decision and declared Pakistan is a safe country to play cricket.

The PCB said that the security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan government throughout their stay.

It is pertinent to mention here that most of the NZ squad arrived on Saturday and Sunday with a level of security usually reserved for visiting heads of state that included armed guards escorting their bulletproof buses.

NZ’s squad stay at the Islamabad hotel has been guarded by a heavy paramilitary and police contingent.

Pakistan captain Babar Azam in a tweet said, “Extremely disappointed on the abrupt postponement of the series, which could have brought the smiles back for millions of Pakistan Cricket Fans. I’ve full trust in the capabilities and credibility of our security agencies. They are our pride and always will be! Pakistan Zindabad!

 

Saqlain Mushtaq, bowling coach, in his tweet, said, “We were very excited, ready and looking forward to the PkVsNz matches. A real disappointment for all of us, the @TheRealPCB, support staff, players and I am sure the nation. Our government and officials have provided us with a very high level of security. Such a shame to witness this day.”

 

Shahid Afridi lashes out at New Zealand cricket for abandoning the Pakistan tour.

“On a HOAX threat, you have called off the tour despite all assurances!! @BLACKCAPSdo you understand the IMPACT of your decision?” Afridi tweeted.

 

Former wicketkeeper-batsman Rasid Latif said, “New Zealand have made a very hasty decision, the threat was also not genuine. Better sense should have prevailed.”

 

Imad Wasim expressing his disappointment, said, “Heartbroken to see the last-minute withdrawal of the #PAKvNZ series that we all waited for over the past 18 years and was so excited. Pakistan has made lots of efforts to get cricket back home and we’ll keep doing that IA  #PakistanZindabad

“Pakistan intelligence agencies & Pakistan armed forces r the Pride of every Pakistani. This unilateral decision of @BLACKCAPS is not acceptable. Pakistan is a safe & Proud county,” said Mohammad Hafeez.

Imam Ul Haq in a statement on Twitter said, “My country is safe. And my country is safe for cricket. This is a heartbreaking moment for us as a team and for all the fans. We will keep making our efforts IA Pakistan Zindabad!”

Fakhar Zaman reacting to the situation said The security situation in Pakistan is great and satisfactory. Extraordinary security has been provided to the New Zealand team. After complete assurance and satisfaction, the Call for this last-minute withdrawal of the series by NZ is so sad. Sorry to our cricket fans.”

Wahab Riaz in a tweet said,” Dejected and disappointment are my emotions right now. For many years we’ve shown that Pakistan is safe for cricket. So sad to see the tour end without starting.”

“Pakistan is a safe country for any sports…heartbroken Disappointed Sad day for Pakistan & Pakistan cricket #NZvPAK Not a good thing cancelling series at the last moment,” stated Kamran Akmal.

Shan Masood also expressed his disappointment, saying, ” Pakistan has made monumental efforts to get international cricket back on track. We’ve lost a lot with no international cricket for 6 years in the past and today might set us back again. The pulling out and the abrupt timing of the decision are extremely disappointing.”

Junaid Khan sharing a few photos in a tweet said, “Heartbreaking news…New Zealand could have used another reason. Security isn’t a reason because Pakistan has one of the best Security bases in the world.”

Fast pacer Anwer Ali was also left heart broken.

“Heartbreaking This is not Fair Seriously you guys are having World Best Security and no Security Issues here in Pakistan this will a bit Harsh from your Side,” he said in a tweet.

Sialkot Stallions star Bilawal Bhatti said, “Alhumdulillah Pakistan is safe country sad news for the whole nation.”

Haris Rauf registered his concerned saying, “A wrong precedent has been set & it’s not a good omen at all for fraternity. Our security & intelligence agencies r capable to curb & assess any kind of threat. In the past few years, they successfully managed the safety & security of international events.”

Bismah Maroof in a tweet said, “The whole world knows that we’re a cricket and peace-loving nation. we have been making all possible efforts to get cricket back home. The decision of the NZ cricket board & govt has broken our hearts, damaged our cricket by ignoring our efforts & struggles of past years.”

 

 

the authorSaman Siddiqui
Saman Siddiqui, A freelance journalist with a Master’s Degree in Mass Communication and MS in Peace and Conflict Studies. Associated with the media industry since 2006. Experience in various capacities including Program Host, Researcher, News Producer, Documentary Making, Voice Over, Content Writing Copy Editing, and Blogging, and currently associated with OyeYeah since 2018, working as an Editor.