Pakistan has 75 confirmed cases of the Omicron variant as of December 27.
The National Institute of Health (NIH)in a statement shared on Tuesday, briefed about the Omicron variant cases in the country.
According to NIH:
- 33 cases of the variant have been reported in Karachi
- 17 Omicron cases have been reported in Islamabad
- 13 cases of the new coronavirus cases have in reported in Lahore
- 12 of the total 75 cases were associated with international travel
As being reported, the relevant authorities have isolated the patients and initiated contact tracing in order to control the spread of the variant.
“The vaccination and standard operations procedures (SOPs) continue to be our best defence against COVID-19 despite the mutations being reported,” the NIH urged the masses.
The first case of the Omicron variant in the country was reported on December 13 in Karachi.
On the other hand, Pakistan has reported 291 new Covid-19 cases and 3 deaths on Tuesday.
The daily COVID cases seem to be gradually rising as people defy the COVID SOPs.
The countrywide breakdown of new coronavirus reported cases is as follows:
- Sindh: 191 cases, 1 death
- Punjab: 60 cases, 2 deaths
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa: 12 cases
- Balochistan: 1 case
- Islamabad: 27 cases
While no new coronavirus cases were reported in Gilgit-Baltistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmir.