Latest News

Seoul Halloween Horror: PM Shehbaz extends condolences following a crowd crush in Itaewon that killed 151 people

South Korea’s President declares mourning period for nation after Halloween crush

PM Shehbaz extends condolences on Sunday to the South Koreans following a crowd crush in Seoul’s Itaewon that killed 151 people.

  • President Yoon Suk-yeol declared a period of national mourning.
  • South Korean present designated Seoul’s popular Itaewon district a disaster zone after the Saturday night disaster.
  • Fire officials said most of the victims were women and young people in their 20s and included 19 foreigners from Iran, Uzbekistan, China, and Norway
  • A further 82 people were also injured, 19 of them seriously.
  • At least 2 US citizens among those killed in Seoul tragedy, US embassy says

Hell broke in the South Korean capital on Saturday evening as the public gathered to attend the first Halloween event in Seoul in three years after the country lifted COVID-19 restrictions and social distancing.

According to the officials, the tragedy occurred amid a huge crowd crush as the police failed to control the crowd surge and people continued to enter into a narrow and sloppy alley on Saturday night celebrating Halloween in the popular Itaewon district.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Sunday in a tweet said that he was “saddened at the tragic death of 146 people in a stampede in Seoul”.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the government and people of South Korea,” he added.

 

South Korea’s President Yoon Suk-yeol has declared a period of national mourning on Sunday after a Halloween crush incident.

President Yoon visited the incident site on Sunday morning and expressed condolences to the victims, mostly teenagers and people in their 20s, and his wishes for a speedy recovery for the many injured.

“This is truly tragic,” he said in a statement. “A tragedy and disaster that should not have happened took place in the heart of Seoul last night.”

At least 90% of the victims had been identified by midday, with delays affecting some foreign nationals and teenagers who did not yet have identification cards, the Interior Ministry said on Sunday.

While makeshift memorials began appearing near the incident site, with onlookers leaving flowers and notes.

Horrible details of the incident continue to pour on social media along with condolence messages from world leaders.

 

 

 

 

 

The disaster is South Korea’s deadliest since a 2014 ferry sinking that killed 304 people, mainly high school students.

Saman Siddiqui

Saman Siddiqui, A freelance journalist with a Master’s Degree in Mass Communication and MS in Peace and Conflict Studies. Associated with the media industry since 2006. Experience in various capacities including Program Host, Researcher, News Producer, Documentary Making, Voice Over, Content Writing Copy Editing, and Blogging, and currently associated with OyeYeah since 2018, working as an Editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

eighteen − 14 =

Back to top button