Taraweeh prayers across Sindh during the holy month of Ramazan have been restricted to 3-5 persons and the rest of the people will have to offer prayers at home to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah made the announcement late Thursday night in a video message.
CM Shah said that this very difficult decision was taken after consultation with doctors and President Arif Alvi, who last Saturday had announced after meeting ulema that congregational and Taraweeh prayers would be held in mosques during Ramazan while adhering to certain precautionary measures.
CM also said that the doctors at a press conference on Wednesday had warned that frontline healthcare workers will be helpless against the rapid spread of COVID-19 if large gatherings including congregational prayers are not stopped.
Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah announces lockdown on Friday & announces SOP for Taravih….. pic.twitter.com/GSzaWZB3gJ— Sindh Chief Minister House (@SindhCMHouse) April 23, 2020
Doctors from the Pakistan Medical Association in Punjab had expressed similar concerns earlier on Thursday.