Sindh government has decided to suspend the resumption of on-campus classes for grades up to 8 in view of the emergence of coronavirus cases in educational institutes till September 28.
The government had earlier announced to resume the sixth, seventh and eighth classes in schools from September 21 in the second phase.
Education Minister Saeed Ghani while addressing a press briefing on Friday, said that the decision to resume classes has been delayed as more COVID-19 cases have been reported in educational institutions across the country.
He added that out of 3,636 students in different schools, 89 tested positive for coronavirus.
“This figure constitutes 2.4 percent of all the cases which is not a welcoming sign.”
“Our purpose is not to shut down schools permanently […] We simply seek for them to mend their ways when we see them not fulfilling their responsibility,” he said.
“They should follow through with the commitments made. Following safety, protocols are not to be done for our satisfaction.
“Our children go to these schools. It is a question of their health and safety,” he stressed.
“I will get in touch with the federal ministers and will request a meeting of the inter-provincial education ministers committee so that a uniform decision is taken across the country,” he added.
In the first phase, all higher education institutions including universities, professional colleges, vocational institutes, as well as classes nine till 12 were resumed on September 15.