Unavailability of vaccine takes young boy’s life in Larkana
A ten-year-old boy has died of rabies in Larkana on Tuesday.
According to details, the boy was bitten by a stray dog, got infected by the lethal virus, Rabies Encephalitis and succumbed to the disease.
The parents of the deceased, Mir Hassan said that after their son was bitten by the stray dog, were immediately taken to a government hospital in Shikarpur where he was not given the treatment because there was no vaccine available to get him treated.
Read More : Larkana HIV outbreak: WHO team arrives in Pakistan
Later, Hassan was rushed to the Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Hospital in Larkana but the situation was no different for the poor family as the Sindh government health center had no vaccine for the treatment. Consequently, the poor boy succumbed to the disease.
It is pertinent to mention here that after Indian ARV makers have stopped supplying the Anti-Rabies Vaccines to Pakistan, the supplies of ARV are running out in most government sector hospitals due to increased domestic demand.
The vaccine imports from China have also been stopped in January, reports claimed.