According to the officials, a US climber has died after descending from Everest, on Tuesday, taking this season´s toll to 11. The several deaths are being blamed on overcrowding on the world´s highest mountain.
Reportedly, Christopher John Kulish, 61, had already climbed the 8,848-metre (29,029-feet) peak and was safely back at a camp below the summit on Monday evening.
Mira Acharya from Nepal´s tourism department, told, “All of a sudden he had a heart problem and passed away at South Col, according to his expedition organizers”.
Nepal is facing criticism for reportedly issuing a record 381 permits for the Spring season this year, costing $11,000 each.
Nepali officials on Friday said that some climbers were getting caught in the crowds on the mountain and this was leading to exhaustion, dehydration and in the worst cases death.
A short weather window has resulted in some teams waiting several hours in the dangerous “dead zone”, running out of oxygen supplies and risking exhaustion.
Today’s reported fatality rises the number of deaths at Everest this season to 11. Among the other deaths reported in this week were of 4 Indian nationals, 1 from Nepal, an Austrian, an American, an Irish and a British climber.