The publisher of Washington Post Fred Ryan responded to Saudi Arabia’s court’s decision to sentence five people to death for the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi on Monday, saying those at the top of the Saudi government “continue to escape responsibility” for the murder.
Fred Ryan in his statement said, “The complete lack of transparency and the Saudi government’s refusal to cooperate with independent investigators suggests that this was a sham trial”.
“Those ultimately responsible, at the highest level of the Saudi government, continue to escape responsibility for the brutal murder of Jamal Khashoggi,” he said.
It is pertinent to mention here that a court in Saudi Arabia on Monday sentenced five people to death and jailed three others for the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Khashoggi, who was a prominent critic of the Saudi government, killed inside the kingdom’s consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul by a team of Saudi agents.
Later, Saudi Arabia denied that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had any knowledge or involvement in the assassination, the CIA concluded last year that he gave the order.