Corona UpdatesNewsSports

Wimbledon 2020 Cancelled Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

The 134th Championships will instead be staged from 28 June to 11 July 2021.

Views

For the first time in history since World War 2, Wimbledon Championship has been cancelled due to coronavirus outbreak.

The 134th Championships will instead be staged from 28 June to 11 July 2021.

The tournament was due to be played between June 29 and July 12 this year.

“It is with great regret that the Main Board of the All England Club (AELTC) and the Committee of Management of The Championships have today decided that The Championships 2020 will be cancelled due to public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic”, says the official announcement.

“This is a decision that we have not taken lightly, and we have done so with the highest regard for public health and the wellbeing of all those who come together to make Wimbledon happen,” said Ian Hewitt, All England Lawn Tennis Club chairman.

“It has weighed heavily on our minds that the staging of the Championships has only been interrupted previously by World Wars but, following thorough and extensive consideration of all scenarios, we believe it is ultimately the right decision to cancel this year’s Championships, and instead concentrate on how we can use the breadth of Wimbledon’s resources to help those in our local communities and beyond.

“Our thoughts are with all those who have been and continue to be affected by these unprecedented times.”

As soon as the announcement for the cancelation came out, many international tennis players took to social media expressing their regrets:

 

the authorSaman Siddiqui

Leave a Reply

five × one =