PM Shehbaz Sharif announces slew of austerity measures
The PDM-led government aims to save Rs200bn through austerity measures.
PM Shehbaz Sharif on Wednesday announced a slew of austerity measures aimed to save Rs200 billion annually.
Shehbaz Sharif while unveiling a massive austerity drive at the federal government level to slash expenditures said that the result of such a frugal exercise would yield far-reaching effects.
Here is the List of the austerity measures announced by PM Shehbaz Sharif while addressing a press conference along with the members of his cabinet:
- All federal cabinet members, advisers and special assistants to forgo salaries and other privileges
- All cabinet members are to pay their own utility bills
- All cabinet members are to return all luxury vehicles which will be auctioned
- Only one security vehicle to be provided to cabinet members when needed
- Cabinet members and government officers to travel in the economy for domestic, and foreign trips; support staff are not permitted to tag along
- Cabinet members to not stay in five-star hotels during foreign visits
- All divisions, departments, subordinates and other government entities under the federal government to slash current expenditure by 15pc
- Purchasing luxury items, all types of vehicles are banned till June 2024
- Official vehicles being used by government officers availing of monetisation scheme will be recalled
- Security vehicles will no longer be provided to government officers
- Teleconferencing will be promoted to reduce travelling expenses
- No administrative unit or division or subdivision is to be created for the next two years
- “Single treasury account” to be established
- Offices to open at 7:30 am during summer
- Government employees to not be allotted more than one plot
- Only one dish will be served at all government events