Johnny Depp says he is being boycotted by Hollywood!
The 58-year-old actor who awaits the release of his latest film, Minamata, in the United States, addressed his fall within the film industry, calling it an “absurdity of media mathematics.”
Discussing the film in a new interview with The Sunday Times, Depp talked about the “surreal five years” he has experienced during his fallout from the Hollywood community.
Depp said he “looked those people in the eyeballs and promised we would not be exploitative. That the film would be respectful. I believe that we’ve kept our end of the bargain, but those who came in later should also maintain theirs.”
The 58-year-old actor also addressed his standing in the film industry, saying, “Some films touch people and this affects those in Minamata and people who experience similar things. And for anything … for Hollywood’s boycott of me? One man, one actor in an unpleasant and messy situation, over the last number of years?”
Depp said that he is “moving towards where I need to go to make all that … to bring things to light.”
The film in discussion Minamata stars Depp as W Eugene Smith, an American photojournalist who helped expose the devastating impact of mercury poisoning on coastal communities in Japan in the 1970s.
Amid losing a libel case against British tabloid The Sun, which referred to the actor as a “wife-beater” in an article about Depp and his ex-wife Amber Heard, Depp was forced to quit several projects.
MGM reportedly shelved the release of the Andrew Levitas-directed project, Minamata. Furthermore, Depp was also forced to exit Warner Bros.’ Fantastic Beasts franchise last year after losing the case.